Tuesday, April 02, 2013

New Poetry by James Mirarchi







Thieves
From a pulpit
a reserved raccoon with a love for classical music
quietly berates me
for fraternizing with some reality TV raccoons
 
Earlier
these celebrity creatures had burglarized my home
stealing my plasma television and Stephenie Meyer book collection
They even mooned my neighbors while fleeing with their cameraman
But the sycophant I am – still decides to hang with them
 
They teach me the fine art of garbage-sniffing
Climbing trees in Zorro masks
And alluringly posing with head tilted down in attack stance
All telecast for the world to see
I’m even recruited as a videographer
for an all-raccoon Pilates show
 
I’m so honored to be associated
with these exemplary extroverts
so different from their more shy nocturnal relatives


- James Mirarchi 2013


James Mirarchi grew up in Queens, New York. In addition to his poetry collections, Venison and Dervish, he has written and directed short films, which have played at festivals. His poems have appeared in Crack the Spine Literary Magazine, Poydras Review, gobbet, Boyslut, The Mind[less] Muse, Dead Snakes, The Recusant, Subliminal Interiors Magazine, and Clockwise Cat.
   

No comments: